Vistaril Warnings and Precautions
Before taking Vistaril, you should talk with your healthcare provider about any other medical conditions you may have and any other medications you are taking. For example, you may not be able to safely use Vistaril if you have glaucoma, difficulty passing urine, or Alzheimer's disease. Other warnings and precautions with Vistaril apply to people with certain allergies and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Vistaril?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Vistaril® (hydroxyzine) if you have:
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer's disease
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, hepatitis, or cirrhosis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any other allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Warnings and Precautions With VistarilSome warnings and precautions to be aware of with this product include the following:
- Vistaril can cause drowsiness. Be sure to see how Vistaril affects you before driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Because of its anticholinergic affects, Vistaril can worsen glaucoma, Alzheimer's disease, or an enlarged prostate. Let your healthcare provider know if you experience worsening of any of these conditions while taking Vistaril.
- Elderly individuals may be more susceptible to the side effects of Vistaril (and are also more likely to be taking medications that interact with Vistaril). Vistaril can worsen many conditions common in the elderly (such as an enlarged prostate or Alzheimer's disease).
- Vistaril can interact with other medications (see Vistaril Drug Interactions).
- Vistaril is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that Vistaril might not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not known. Talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using Vistaril during pregnancy (see Hydroxyzine and Pregnancy for more information).
- It is not known if Vistaril passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start breastfeeding, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider about using Vistaril (see Hydroxyzine and Breastfeeding for more information).