Vistaril is a medication that has a variety of different purposes. This prescription medication can be used to treat anxiety and allergic reactions, as well as to relieve nausea and vomiting and assist in alcohol withdrawal. Healthcare providers may also occasionally recommend off-label uses for Vistaril, such as for treating insomnia or opioid withdrawal symptoms.
What Is Vistaril Used For?Vistaril® (hydroxyzine) is a prescription medication approved for a wide variety of different purposes. Uses of Vistaril include:
- Treating anxiety, tension, and agitation associated with psychiatric disorders
- Relieving itching associated with the following problems:
- Causing sedation, relieving nausea and vomiting, and allowing a reduced dosage of opioids in the following situations:
- Before and after general anesthesia
- Before and after childbirth
- Relieving anxiety before dental procedures
- Assisting in alcohol withdrawal treatment
- Relieving nausea and vomiting in general.
Vistaril is particularly useful when combined with opioid pain relievers such as morphine. Not only does Vistaril help the opioid to work better (allowing a lower opioid dosage to be used), but it helps relieve the itching that opioids can cause.