Tylenol with Codeine Dosage
Your healthcare provider will recommend your Tylenol with Codeine dosage based on how you respond to narcotics and the specific strength of the product. The maximum daily dose for any Tylenol with Codeine product in adults is 360 mg of codeine phosphate and 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. For children, Tylenol with Codeine dosing is determined by the child's age.
The dose of Tylenol® with Codeine (acetaminophen with codeine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- How sensitive you are to Tylenol with Codeine
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Typically, Tylenol with Codeine can be taken as frequently as every four hours as needed for pain (up to a maximum dose), although the specific dosage your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on the specific strength of the product, as well as other factors. If your body is used to taking narcotic medications, you will be able to handle more Tylenol with Codeine than someone who does not regularly take narcotics. If you have liver or kidney disease, you may need a lower dosage.
The maximum daily dose for any Tylenol with Codeine product in adults is 360 mg of codeine phosphate and 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. See below for the codeine and acetaminophen content of the various Tylenol with Codeine products:
- Tylenol with Codeine No. 2 -- 300 mg of acetaminophen and 15 mg of codeine phosphate (only available in generic form)
- Tylenol with Codeine No. 3 -- 300 mg of acetaminophen and 30 mg of codeine phosphate (available in brand and generic form)
- Tylenol with Codeine No. 4 -- 300 mg of acetaminophen and 60 mg of codeine phosphate (available in brand and generic form)
- Tylenol with Codeine oral solution -- 120 mg of acetaminophen and 12.5 mg of codeine phosphate per 5 mL (available only in generic form).
Make sure to watch for any other sources of acetaminophen, including other prescription pain relievers and many over-the-counter products, such as Tylenol®. To be safe, all other acetaminophen products should be avoided while you are taking Tylenol with Codeine, unless you are extremely careful to limit your total acetaminophen use (from all sources added together) to 4 grams per day. The acetaminophen content of Tylenol with Codeine is 300 mg per tablet. Taking more than 4 grams (4000 mg) of acetaminophen per day can cause liver damage, which can result in liver failure and death.