When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Subutex include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a small tablet, which is dissolved on the floor of the mouth under the tongue. It is normally taken once a day.
- Do not chew, swallow, or suck on the tablets, as this will reduce the effectiveness of the drug. Keep the tablet under your tongue until it completely dissolves.
- If you are using more than one tablet, spread them out under the tongue. Do not place them on top of one another. If you use more than two tablets per dose and cannot fit them all in your mouth at once, take them separately. No matter what, make sure to keep them under your tongue until they dissolve completely.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or suddenly stop using Subutex without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Subutex, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Subutex your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type and dosage of opioids you have been taking
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Subutex Dosage for more information.)