Savella Side Effects
Nausea, headaches, and constipation are the most commonly reported side effects of Savella. Problems that were reported in at least 2 percent of men taking this medication include painful urination, ejaculation problems, and testicular swelling. Some side effects are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider immediately, including chest pain, shortness of breath, and suicidal thoughts.
An Introduction to Savella Side Effects
Just like any medicine, Savella® (milnacipran hydrochloride) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Savella. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Savella side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Savella
Savella has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, side effects occurring in the group of people taking Savella were documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients).
Based on these studies, the most common bothersome (but usually not dangerous) side effects of Savella included:
- Nausea -- in up to 39 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 19 percent
- Constipation -- up to 16 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 12 percent (see Savella and Insomnia)
- Hot flashes -- up to 12 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 11 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 2 to 10 percent of people) included:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Upper respiratory tract infections (such as the common cold)
- Decreased appetite (which may result in weight loss)
- Unusual sensations, such as numbness or tingling, or reduced sensation of touch
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Increased sweating
- Flushing (redness of the face and neck).