An overdose with OxyContin (oxycodone ER) can be lethal. Besides taking too many tablets or taking them too often, an overdose can also occur if you chew or crush the tablets (as this causes too much of the medication to be released too quickly). Possible overdose symptoms include difficulty breathing, clammy skin, and extreme drowsiness. An overdose with this drug requires immediate medical attention.
Can You Take Too Much OxyContin?
OxyContin® (oxycodone ER) is a narcotic pain reliever. An OxyContin overdose can be fatal. The specific effects of an overdose with this drug can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the OxyContin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have intentionally or accidentally overdosed on OxyContin, as an overdose with this medication can be lethal.
Symptoms of an OxyContin Overdose
It is important to understand that chewing, breaking, dissolving, or crushing OxyContin tablets can easily lead to an overdose, as this causes too much of the medication to be released too quickly.
People who take too much OxyContin may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Cold, clammy skin
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Weak, limp muscles
- Difficulty breathing
- Extreme drowsiness, leading to a coma
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Cardiac arrest
- Loss of life.
Early treatment after an OxyContin overdose is essential. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump" the stomach, induce vomiting, or administer activated charcoal to prevent the body from absorbing OxyContin. An antidote (naloxone or Narcan®) may be administered to counteract serious overdose effects of this drug.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on OxyContin.