Dosing With Oxaprozin
Several factors help determine a patient's medication dosing. With oxaprozin, your dosage is based on your age and weight, what you are being treated for, existing medical conditions, and other medicines you are taking. For osteoarthritis, the recommended starting dose is 1200 mg a day. When treating juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, dosing with oxaprozin is usually based on the child's weight and ranges from 600 mg to 1200 mg per day.
The dose of oxaprozin (Daypro®) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your oxaprozin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For the relief of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, the recommended starting dose of oxaprozin is based on the child's weight. It generally ranges from 600 mg to 1200 mg per day.
When treating symptoms of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, the usual recommended starting dose of oxaprozin is 1200 mg a day.
For people with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, oxaprozin may take several weeks to achieve its full potential.
Things to consider when taking oxaprozin include the following:
- Your oxaprozin dosage should be taken with a glass of water. Taking it with milk or food may prevent stomach upset.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of developing serious side effects.
- Oxaprozin should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood.
- For oxaprozin to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Oxaprozin will not work if you take it in a different way than how your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you do not take your oxaprozin as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose or combine oxaprozin with other NSAIDs. However, it is okay to take it with acetaminophen (Tylenol®).
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with oxaprozin, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking oxaprozin without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.