Opana ER Overdose
It is essential to get immediate medical treatment if you believe you have taken too much Opana ER (oxymorphone ER). An overdose of this medicine can be quite dangerous and may even lead to life-threatening complications, such as a slow heart rate, a coma, and breathing problems. Treatment may involve administering an antidote and providing supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can You Take Too Much Opana ER?It is possible to overdose on Opana® ER (oxymorphone ER), a prescription opioid pain medicine. As with other similar opioids, this type of overdose can be quite dangerous and perhaps even lethal.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Opana ER dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications (legal or illegal) or substances.
Symptoms of an OverdoseAn Opana ER overdose can be dangerous, and may cause the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing (slow and shallow breathing)
- Extreme drowsiness
- Limp muscles
- Cold, clammy skin
- Small pupils
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
Chewing, crushing, dissolving, snorting, or injecting Opana ER can easily result in an overdose. Opana ER tablets are designed to release oxymorphone (the active ingredient) slowly over time. Disrupting the tablets can cause an overdose by releasing too much oxymorphone too quickly.
Also, consuming alcohol (whether in beverages or in medications) while taking Opana ER can cause a fatal overdose. It can also be life-threatening to take this medication with food. Alcohol and food increase the amount of the drug absorbed into the bloodstream.