Precautions and Warnings With Motrin
There are several precautions and warnings with Motrin that you should be aware of before taking the medication. For example, there are many potential side effects of Motrin, including high blood pressure, congestive heart failure or swelling, meningitis, and liver or kidney damage. Also, certain people should not take the drug, including those who have an active bleeding condition such as a stomach ulcer.
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Liver disease or liver failure
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Bleeding problems or are taking a medicine that decreases the ability of blood to clot
- Nasal polyps
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE)
- Stomach ulcers, stomach bleeding, or a history of either problem
- Any allergies to medicines, including aspirin or other NSAID pain medicines.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol frequently
- Are having or have recently had heart surgery.
Also, tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may currently be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.