Pain Home > Vistaril Dosage
Before or After General Anesthesia or ChildbirthThe standard injectable Vistaril dosage for use before or after general anesthesia or childbirth in adults is 25 mg to 100 mg injected intramuscularly. For this use in children, the recommended dosage is based on weight (0.5 mg per pound of body weight), injected intramuscularly.
For the oral form for use before and after general anesthesia, the recommended dosage for adults is 50 mg to 100 mg, and the dosage for children is based on weight (0.6 mg per pound of body weight).
ItchingThe standard dosage for the oral form of Vistaril for treating itching in adults is 25 mg three or four times daily. For children over six years old, the recommended oral dosage is 50 mg to 100 mg in "divided" doses (presumably two to four doses per day). For children under six years old, the oral dosage is 50 mg daily in divided doses.
- Vistaril comes in the form of capsules, suspension (oral liquid), and injections (administered into a muscle). It is usually taken two to four times daily.
- It does not matter if you take Vistaril with or without food.
- Make sure to shake Vistaril oral suspension well before each dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Vistaril, please talk with your healthcare provider.