Pain Home > Suboxone Overdose
The effects of a Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) overdose can be potentially serious. If you use too much, overdose symptoms may include breathing problems, extreme sedation, and a slow heart rate. In some cases, an overdose of this medicine can even lead to death. Treatment options may include administering an antidote and providing supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Suboxone?Suboxone® (buprenorphine and naloxone) is a prescription medication used to treat opioid dependence. It comes as a sublingual tablet or film that is dissolved under the tongue. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Suboxone. An overdose of this medication can be very dangerous.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Suboxone dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
- Weak, floppy muscles
- Cold, clammy skin
- Constricted (pinpoint) pupils
- Extreme drowsiness or sedation
- Breathing problems, including shallow and slow breathing
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Unusual snoring.
Serious problems from an overdose are most likely to occur when Suboxone is combined with alcohol or other sedatives. Normally, Suboxone has a "ceiling effect," which limits the side effects of the medication, even in the case of an overdose. However, combining Suboxone with alcohol or other medications can raise this ceiling, increasing the risk of death from an overdose.
Suboxone is probably most likely to cause a lethal overdose in people who are not accustomed to taking opioids. This is one of the reasons why a Suboxone overdose can be dangerous for pets or children. It is important to keep Suboxone safely out of the reach and sight of children and pets.