Pain Home > Savella Dosage
There are specific Savella dosage guidelines for the treatment of fibromyalgia. It is recommended to take 12.5 mg on the first day, 12.5 mg twice daily on days two and three, 25 mg twice daily on days four through seven, and 50 mg twice daily for day seven and beyond. These dosing guidelines must be followed carefully in order for the medication to work.
Dosing With Savella: An Introduction
The dose of Savella® (milnacipran hydrochloride) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Savella
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Savella Dosage for Fibromyalgia
The standard recommended dose of Savella is as follows:
- Day 1 -- 12.5 mg once daily
- Days 2 and 3 -- 12.5 mg twice daily
- Days 4 through 7 -- 25 mg twice daily
- Day 7 and beyond -- 50 mg twice daily.
If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 100 mg twice daily, if 50 mg twice daily is not sufficient to relieve your fibromyalgia symptoms. People with kidney disease (such as kidney failure) may need to take a lower Savella dosage.
Do not stop taking Savella suddenly, as this could lead to withdrawal symptoms. If you need to stop taking the medication, be sure to work closely with your healthcare provider to determine a schedule for gradually decreasing your dosage.
General Information on Your Savella Dose
Considerations for people taking Savella include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually twice a day.
- You can take Savella with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with a little food.
- Savella is started with a low dose and then slowly increased. Be sure to follow your dosing instructions carefully.
- Be sure to take your Savella dose at the same times each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking Savella suddenly, as withdrawal symptoms could occur.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Savella, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.