Pain Home > Savella and Insomnia
A number of side effects have been reported with Savella (milnacipran) and insomnia appears to be one of the more common ones. During clinical studies, insomnia was seen in up to 12 percent of people taking the medication. If insomnia becomes a problem while taking Savella, you can try improving your sleeping habits or talk to your healthcare provider about possible treatment options.
Insomnia is one of the most common side effects of Savella® (milnacipran hydrochloride). During clinical studies of Savella for fibromyalgia, up to 12 percent of people taking the medication experienced this problem. However, it is important to note that nearly as many (10 percent) of the people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients) also developed insomnia.
Some people may find that simply improving their sleep habits can provide significant insomnia relief. Some tips for better sleep include the following:
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on the weekends.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Avoid exercise within two hours of bedtime. However, exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
- Avoid large meals within two hours of bedtime and refrain from taking a nap later than 3 p.m.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room at a comfortable temperature.
- Do a quiet activity somewhere else if you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)