Pain Home > Mefenamic Acid
Mefenamic acid is a medication that is prescribed for the treatment of mild to moderate pain. The medicine comes in capsule form and works by blocking the effects of certain pain-causing hormones in the body. It is effective in relieving painful menstrual periods; decreasing uterine contractions; and reducing pain related to bone, muscle, or tendon injury and inflammation. Potential side effects include stomach pain, unexplained rash, and headache.
- Stomach pain
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Nausea, with or without vomiting
- Unexplained rash
- Cardiovascular problems, including a heart attack or stroke
- Stomach or intestine problems, including bleeding, ulcers, or a hole (known as a perforation)
- Liver damage
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure
- Rapid weight gain (see Ponstel and Weight Gain)
- Congestive heart failure
- Vision problems
- Allergic reaction
- Unexplained rash.