Pain Home > Mefenamic Acid Dosing
For acute pain relief, dosing for mefenamic acid typically starts at 500 mg, followed by 250 mg every six hours as needed. Dosage recommendations are determined by several factors, including what you are being treated for, existing medical conditions, and other medications you may be taking. Do not adjust your dose unless your doctor specifically instructs you to do so.
The dose of mefenamic acid (Ponstel®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dose of Mefenamic Acid for Acute Pain, Including Painful Menstrual PeriodsFor acute pain relief or the relief of menstrual pain, the usual dose for people 14 years of age and older is mefenamic acid 500 mg initially, then 250 mg every six hours as needed. Generally, treatment for acute pain should last no more than seven days. Treatment for painful menstrual periods should last for no more than two to three days.
Some considerations for people taking mefenamic acid include the following:
- Your mefenamic acid dosage should be taken by mouth with food and a full glass of water.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose of mefenamic acid for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of developing serious side effects.
- For mefenamic acid to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a different way than how your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you do not take your mefenamic acid dosage as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose or take it with other NSAIDs. It is okay to take it with acetaminophen (Tylenol®).
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose or mefenamic acid dosing in general, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.