Pain Home > Flector Overdose
It is possible to overdose on Flector (diclofenac patch), although it comes in the form of a skin patch. Serious effects are more likely to occur if the medication is taken by mouth, which can happen if children or pets chew on the patch. Based on information from oral overdoses of other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, taking too much Flector might result in drowsiness, throat pain, or nausea.
The Flector® Patch (diclofenac patch) is a prescription medication approved to treat pain due to bruises, strains, and sprains. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Flector. The specific effects of an overdose could potentially be dangerous but would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Flector dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
If you or someone else may have taken a Flector overdose, please seek immediate medical attention.
Serious effects are probably more likely if the medication is taken by mouth (since only a fraction of the medication is absorbed throughout the body when it is applied to the skin). This is probably most likely to occur with young children or pets, who might try to chew on the patch. Due to this risk, the patches should always be stored safely out of the reach of pets and children. Additionally, the used patches should be folded in half and disposed out of the reach of children and pets.
Based on information from oral overdoses of other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), an overdose with Flector might cause the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throat or upper chest pain
- Ulcers or bleeding of the digestive tract
- High blood pressure
- Kidney failure
- Slow or irregular breathing