Pain Home > Exalgo
Exalgo is approved for the treatment of pain. This long-acting prescription medication is designed to slowly release the pain reliever over an extended period. The drug comes in tablet form, and is typically taken once a day. Possible side effects include constipation, drowsiness, and nausea. Because it is a narcotic, Exalgo has the potential for abuse.
What Is Exalgo?Exalgo™ (hydromorphone ER) is a long-acting prescription pain medication. It should only be used when around-the-clock use of strong painkillers is necessary for an extended period (more than a few days).
How Does It Work?Exalgo tablets are specially designed to release hydromorphone over an extended period. As a result, instead of taking short-acting hydromorphone (Dilaudid®) several times a day, you can just take Exalgo once a day.
- Pain relief
- Slowing of the digestive tract
- Cough suppression
- Release of histamine (which often causes itching)
- Unusual, unpleasant feelings (dysphoria) or unusual, pleasant feelings (euphoria)
- Decreased breathing (slow or shallow breathing)
- Certain changes in the circulatory system
- Physical dependence.