Pain Home > Exalgo Dosage
General Information on Taking ExalgoSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Exalgo include the following:
- The medication comes in extended-release tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day, every day. It is not meant to be taken "as needed" (at unscheduled times only when needed for pain).
- You can take a dose of Exalgo with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking the tablets with food.
- Never crush, chew, or dissolve the tablets, as this would release a dangerous amount of hydromorphone. Never take a tablet that appears damaged in any way.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose without your healthcare provider's approval. Do not suddenly stop taking Exalgo, especially if you have taken it regularly for more than a few days (see Exalgo Withdrawal).
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Exalgo dosage, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.