Pain Home > Duragesic Warnings and Precautions
Before you start Duragesic, make sure your healthcare provider is aware of any other medical problems you have, such as breathing problems, low blood pressure, or gallbladder disease. This medication can also cause drug interactions, so tell your healthcare provider about any other medications, vitamins, or supplements you are taking. Other precautions and warnings with Duragesic apply to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Duragesic® (fentanyl patch) if you have:
- A history of drug or alcohol dependence or abuse
- Ever had breathing problems, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung diseases
- Paralytic ileus (a condition in which food does not move through the intestines as normal, leading to intestinal obstruction or blockage)
- A head injury, brain tumor, or increased pressure around the brain
- Had a stroke
- Ever had a seizure
- Problems urinating
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Gallbladder or pancreas disease
- Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, liver failure, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- A slow heart rate, or abnormal heart rhythm
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant.