Pain Home > Duragesic Overdose
Even though Duragesic (fentanyl patch) comes in the form of a skin patch, it is possible to overdose on this drug. Causes of an overdose may include an increase in body temperature, such as from a fever or exercise, which increases the amount of this drug that is absorbed into the body. Possible effects of an overdose include breathing problems, seizures, and even death.
Can You Use Too Much Duragesic?Duragesic® (fentanyl patch) is a prescription narcotic medication licensed to treat persistent, chronic pain. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Duragesic. An overdose of this medication can be very dangerous.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary depending on a number of factors, including the Duragesic dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or anyone else may have used too much Duragesic.
- Extreme drowsiness or sedation
- Breathing problems, including shallow and slow breathing
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Slow heartbeat
- Fluid in the lungs
- Feeling faint or dizzy
- Small pupils
- Cold and clammy skin
- Problems thinking, walking, or talking normally
It is very important to exactly follow the directions for Duragesic use. The patches should only be applied to a non-irritated area of the skin. They should not be chewed or swallowed. Damaged or cut patches should not be used. Using this medication incorrectly could result in an overdose, and possibly death.
Any increase in body temperature, as from a fever or exercise, can cause too much of the medication to be absorbed into the body, potentially resulting in an overdose. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you have a fever or if your body temperature increases from exercise. Also, avoid heat sources that could raise your body temperature, such as heating pads, hot tubs, saunas, electric blankets, and tanning beds.