Pain Home > Avinza Overdose
An Avinza overdose can be quite dangerous and may cause difficulty breathing, a slow heart rate, or extreme drowsiness. Crushing, chewing, dissolving, snorting, or injecting Avinza can easily result in an overdose because the capsules contain tiny extended-release beads that are designed to release morphine slowly over time. Treatment for an Avinza overdose may involve "pumping" the stomach, an antidote, and supportive care.
Avinza® (morphine sulfate ER) is a prescription pain medicine. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Avinza. An overdose with Avinza can be quite dangerous. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Avinza dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you suspect that you or anyone else may have taken too much Avinza.
An Avinza overdose may cause the following symptoms:
- Extreme drowsiness
- Limp muscles
- Cold, clammy skin
- Difficulty breathing (slow and shallow breathing)
- Small pupils
- Fluid in the lungs
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
Crushing, chewing, dissolving, snorting, or injecting Avinza can easily result in an overdose. Avinza capsules contain tiny extended-release beads designed to release morphine slowly over time. Disrupting the beads can cause overdose by releasing too much morphine too quickly. Also, consuming any alcohol (even small amounts of alcohol found in some cough medicines) could cause the beads to release too much morphine too quickly, possibly causing an overdose.