Can Diet Cure Fibromyalgia?
Research scientists have only recently begun to study nutritional therapy for fibromyalgia. Although some people with this condition report feeling better when they eat or avoid certain foods, there is currently no diet that can cure fibromyalgia or slow down its symptoms.
Even though fibromyalgia can't be cured through following a specific diet, it's still important to get the proper nutrition if you have the disorder. Eating healthy can:
- Help you avoid other health problems
- Give you more energy
- Make you feel better in general.
Some suggestions for eating a well-balanced diet include:
- Eating heart-healthy foods. This can include foods such as:
- Fruits, vegetables, grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Limiting foods with saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugars.
- Limiting your intake of alcohol.
(Click Fibromyalgia Diet to learn more about why some people believe that a special diet can cure fibromyalgia. This article also features information on keeping a food diary.)