People with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis are recommended to take a starting dose of Feldene 20 mg once daily or 10 mg twice daily. In order to reduce the chance of side effects, you should take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time to treat your condition. Contact your healthcare provider if you are unsure about anything related to your dose.
Feldene Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of Feldene® (piroxicam) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dose of Feldene for Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid ArthritisFor osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis symptoms, the recommended starting Feldene dosage is 20 mg once a day or 10 mg twice a day. It may take Feldene several weeks to achieve its full potential.
General Information on Your Feldene DosageSome considerations for people taking Feldene include the following:
- Your dose should be taken with a glass of water. Taking Feldene with milk or food may prevent an upset stomach.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will reduce the risk of serious side effects.
- Feldene should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Feldene will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you do not take your Feldene dosage as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose or take Feldene with other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It is okay to take it with acetaminophen (Tylenol®).
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose or Feldene dosing in general, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.