What Is Exalgo?
Exalgo™ (hydromorphone ER
) is a long-acting prescription pain medication
. It should only be used when around-the-clock use of strong painkillers is necessary for an extended period (more than a few days).
Who Makes Exalgo?
Exalgo is made by Mallinckrodt Brand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
How Does It Work?
Exalgo tablets are specially designed to release hydromorphone over an extended period. As a result, instead of taking short-acting hydromorphone (Dilaudid®
) several times a day, you can just take Exalgo once a day.
Hydromorphone is an opioid narcotic medication that is chemically related to morphine
. It binds to opioid receptors throughout the body and produces several different effects. These effects include but are not limited to:
- Pain relief
- Slowing of the digestive tract
- Cough suppression
- Release of histamine (which often causes itching)
- Unusual, unpleasant feelings (dysphoria) or unusual, pleasant feelings (euphoria)
- Decreased breathing (slow or shallow breathing)
- Certain changes in the circulatory system
- Physical dependence.