If a person takes too much Exalgo (hydromorphone ER), the effects can be quite dangerous and may include difficulty breathing, fluid in the lungs, or even death. Thus, it is important to seek prompt medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on Exalgo. Treatment may involve administering an antidote and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Exalgo?It is possible to overdose on Exalgo™ (hydromorphone ER), a prescription opioid pain medicine. As with other similar opioids, an overdose can be quite dangerous and perhaps even lethal. The specific effects can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Exalgo dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications (legal or illegal) or substances.
Symptoms of an Exalgo OverdoseAn overdose with Exalgo may cause the following symptoms:
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Difficulty breathing (slow and shallow breathing)
- Extreme drowsiness
- Limp muscles
- Cold, clammy skin
- Pinpoint pupils
- Fluid in the lungs
Chewing, crushing, dissolving, snorting, or injecting Exalgo can easily result in an overdose. These tablets are designed to release hydromorphone slowly over time. Crushing, dissolving, or otherwise modifying their form can cause an overdose by releasing too much hydromorphone too quickly.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for an Exalgo overdose will vary, depending on the severity and type of symptoms. If serious problems occur, an antidote (naloxone or Narcan®) may be administered to counteract the overdose effects.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Exalgo.