What Is Diflunisal Used For?
What is diflunisal used for? This prescription drug is used to treat symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as conditions related to pain, inflammation, and stiffness. For example, diflunisal is used for pain following a procedure, back pain, and pain caused by muscle strain or an inflamed tendon. Off-label uses include treating symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
What Is Diflunisal Used For? -- An OverviewDiflunisal (Dolobid®) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions related to pain, inflammation, and stiffness.
Specific diflunisal uses include:
- Pain relief. Diflunisal can relieve pain following a procedure, as well as pain caused by straining a muscle or inflammation in a tendon (tendonitis) or bursa (bursitis). Diflunisal can also be used to treat general pain, such as knee pain, back pain, or foot pain.
- Relief of osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Relief of rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
Diflunisal is not a cure for these types of arthritis, however, nor does it slow down the progression of the disease.
How Does Diflunisal Work?Diflunisal and other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are thought to work by inhibiting the action of certain hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. These hormones are called prostaglandins. By blocking the effects of prostaglandins, diflunisal is useful at alleviating pain, as well as inflammation and joint swelling associated with different forms of arthritis.
What Is Diflunisal Used for in Children?Diflunisal is not licensed for use in children under the age of 12.
Is Diflunisal Used for Off-Label Reasons?On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend diflunisal for something other than the conditions discussed in this article. This is called an "off-label" use. Some off-label diflunisal uses include treatment for:
- Fibromyalgia symptoms
- Symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome
- Symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE for short)
- Pain or inflammation caused by other conditions