The standard recommended injectable dosage of Demerol for use during labor is 50 to 100 mg injected intramuscularly or subcutaneously once pain becomes regular. The dosage may be repeated every one to three hours as necessary.
Considerations for people taking Demerol include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet, oral solution (liquid), or injectable form. The injection form can be injected into a muscle (intramuscularly), under the skin (subcutaneously), or by IV (intravenously).
- Try taking this medication with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- For the oral solution form, each dose is diluted in half a glass of water, since taking it undiluted can cause numbing of the mouth.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Demerol.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose without your healthcare provider's approval. Do not suddenly stop taking Demerol, especially if you have taken it regularly for more than several weeks.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Demerol, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.