If a person takes too much Darvon (propoxyphene hydrochloride), the effects can be quite dangerous and may include difficulty breathing, seizures, or even death. Seek medical attention right away if you or someone else may have taken an overdose. Treatment may involve "pumping" the stomach, administering an antidote, and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Darvon?
In November 2010, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) withdrew all medications that contain propoxyphene from the market. It has been determined that the risks of propoxyphene outweigh the possible benefits. In particular, the FDA was concerned about the drug's ability to cause serious changes in the heart rhythm, even at normal doses. Pharmacies will no longer sell this medication, and people who take it should stop and ask their healthcare provider for a more suitable pain medication.
Darvon® (propoxyphene hydrochloride) is a prescription narcotic pain medicine. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Darvon. However, an overdose of this drug can be particularly dangerous. The specific effects of a Darvon overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Darvon dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on Darvon, as taking too much of this medicine can be lethal.
Symptoms of a Darvon OverdosePeople who take too much Darvon may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Severe drowsiness
- Difficulty breathing
- Blue skin
- Small pupils (initially), followed by wide pupils later
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Loss of life.
An overdose with this pain medication can be lethal within minutes. Because of this, Darvon should be used very cautiously in people with depression or suicidal tendencies.
Make sure to follow your Darvon dosage instructions very carefully to avoid an accidental overdose.