For treating muscle spasms, the recommended starting cyclobenzaprine dosage is 5 mg three times daily. However, cyclobenzaprine dosing guidelines will vary based on several factors, such as your age, other medications you are taking, and other medical conditions you may have. For instance, people who have liver problems or elderly people may need a lower cyclobenzaprine dosage. Cyclobenzaprine should only be used for two or three weeks at a time.
The dose of cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride (Flexeril®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you are taking
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your cyclobenzaprine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting cyclobenzaprine dose for most people is cyclobenzaprine 5 mg three times daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to cyclobenzaprine 10 mg three times daily to control your muscle spasms.
For people with liver problems or elderly people, a less frequent cyclobenzaprine dose may be recommended, as these people may be more sensitive to the effects (and side effects) of cyclobenzaprine.
Some considerations for people taking cyclobenzaprine include the following:
- Cyclobenzaprine comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken three times daily (although a less frequent dose may be recommended for elderly people or for people who have liver problems).
- In general, cyclobenzaprine should only be used for two or three weeks at a time. This should be plenty of time for most muscle injuries to heal.
- It does not matter if you take cyclobenzaprine with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Cyclobenzaprine can cause significant drowsiness. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you take cyclobenzaprine only at night, especially if you need to be alert during the day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Cyclobenzaprine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or cyclobenzaprine dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.