When and How to Take Co-GesicSome general considerations for when and how to take Co-Gesic include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually every four to six hours as needed for pain.
- Be careful not to exceed the maximum recommended daily dose, as this could lead to overdose symptoms or to poisoning from the acetaminophen component, which can cause liver failure.
- Co-Gesic is either taken "as needed" or on a scheduled basis. "As needed" means that you will only take a dose if you are experiencing pain (if you are not in pain, you will skip the dose), while "scheduled use" means that you should take it on a scheduled basis, even if you are not in pain. Most healthcare providers prescribe Co-Gesic on an "as needed" basis, rather than a scheduled basis.
- It is best to take Co-Gesic with food, as this may help reduce stomach upset.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose without your healthcare provider's approval. Do not suddenly stop taking Co-Gesic, especially if you have taken it regularly for more than several weeks (see Hydrocodone/APAP Withdrawal).
Dosing Information for Co-GesicThe dose of Co-Gesic that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Co-Gesic
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
In most cases, the recommended Co-Gesic dosage is one to two tablets every four to six hours as needed for pain, not to exceed eight tablets in 24 hours.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Hydrocodone/APAP Dosage for more information.)