When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind when using Butrans patches include the following:
- This medication comes as a skin patch. Each patch is worn continuously for seven days. After seven days, a new patch is applied to a different skin site.
- Apply the patch to any intact, nonirritated flat skin surface, such as the upper arm, chest, back, or side. Hair at the skin site should be clipped, not shaved. The skin site may be cleansed beforehand with clear water. Allow the skin to dry completely before applying the patch.
- Do not use soaps, lotions, oils, or creams before applying Butrans patches.
- Do not cut Butrans patches, or use cut or damaged patches. Doing so may cause too much of the medication to be released from the patch, potentially leading to an overdose.
- You should avoid anything that heats the skin while using this medication, such as tanning beds, heating pads, electric blankets, hot tubs, saunas, hot baths, or sunbathing. Increases in body temperature can cause too much of the medication to be released into the body, potentially leading to an overdose.
- Do not cover Butrans patches with bandages or tape. If the patch will not stick, you may use first aid tape around the edges only, or use a special clear adhesive dressing. Tell your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have problems with the patch not sticking.
- If your patch falls off before seven days, dispose of it in a proper manner and apply a new patch to a different skin site. Do not try to reapply the old patch.
- Wait a minimum of three weeks before using the same application site again.
- This medication is a controlled substance because it can be abused. Proper storage and disposal are important to prevent theft. Keep unused patches in a safe place. Dispose of used patches by folding the sticky sides of the patch together and flushing it down the toilet or by throwing it away in the enclosed Patch Disposal Unit.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or suddenly stop using this product without your healthcare provider's approval.