Although Butrans (buprenorphine patch) comes in the form of a skin patch, it is possible to overdose on this drug. Some of the potential symptoms a person might experience from using too much of this medicine include extreme drowsiness, breathing problems, and weakness. Treatment options may include administering an antidote and providing supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Butrans?Butrans® (buprenorphine patch) is a prescription narcotic pain medication licensed to treat persistent, chronic pain. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Butrans. An overdose of this medication can be dangerous.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Butrans dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an OverdoseA Butrans overdose may cause the following symptoms:
- Extreme drowsiness or sedation
- Breathing problems, including shallow and slow breathing
- Weak, floppy muscles
- Cold, clammy skin
- Constricted (pinpoint) pupils
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Unusual snoring.
It is important to follow exactly the directions for Butrans use. The patches should only be applied to a nonirritated area of the skin. They should not be chewed or swallowed. Damaged or cut patches should not be used. Using this medication incorrectly could result in an overdose, and possibly death.
Any increase in body temperature, such as from a fever or exercise, can cause too much of the medication to be absorbed into the body, potentially resulting in an overdose. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you have a fever or if your body temperature increases from exercise. Also, avoid heat sources that could raise your body temperature, such as heating pads, hot tubs, saunas, electric blankets, and tanning beds.
Serious problems from a Butrans overdose are most likely to occur when the medication is combined with alcohol or other sedatives.