Avinza Warnings and Precautions
Before using Avinza, warnings and precautions for the medication should be reviewed with your healthcare provider to help minimize risks. Check with your healthcare provider before taking Avinza if you have hypothyroidism, epilepsy, or kidney disease, as this drug may not be the best choice for you. Do not take Avinza at all if you have a bowel obstruction, severe asthma, or untreated respiratory depression.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Avinza® (morphine sulfate ER) if you have:
- A head injury or high intracranial pressure
- Severe abdominal (stomach) pain
- A history of drug or alcohol dependence
- Gallbladder or pancreas disease
- Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, liver failure, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Addison's disease
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- An enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy or BPH)
- Lung disease of any sort
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.