Considerations for people taking anakinra include the following:
- Anakinra is given as a daily injection under the skin. After your healthcare provider shows you how to give the injection, you may give yourself your dosage daily. Although most people take the medication daily, some people need to take it every other day.
- Although the medication is stored in the refrigerator, each day you should let one syringe come to room temperature for 60 to 90 minutes before using it.
- Do not freeze or shake the syringes, as this can damage the medication. Make sure they are not cloudy, and do not use a syringe that has been dropped, as the needle or glass syringe may be damaged.
- Anakinra is injected into the upper outer arms, the abdomen (stomach), the front of the middle of the thighs, or the upper outer area of the buttocks.
- After the injection, be sure to dispose of the syringe and needle in a puncture-resistant container, such as a coffee can or empty soda bottle. If you prefer, you can buy a sharps container, which is a container specifically designed to store used needles.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Anakinra will not work if you stop taking it.