Abatacept Side Effects
Additional Side Effects
Abatacept has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to those that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of abatacept included:
- Infections -- in up to 54 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 18 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 9 percent
- Cough -- up to 8 percent
- Back pain -- up to 7 percent
- High blood pressure (hypertension) -- up to 7 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 6 percent
- Pain in the extremities -- up to 3 percent.
You may experience some or none of the abatacept side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to abatacept, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.