Your dose of abatacept will be determined by several factors, such as weight. For people weighing less than 132 pounds who are starting rheumatoid arthritis treatment with this drug, dosing typically starts at 500 mg. Those weighing between 132 and 220 pounds may start with a dose of 750 mg. If you weigh more than 200 pounds, your healthcare provider may give you a dosage of 1000 mg. Abatacept is generally administered through an IV.
The dose of abatacept (Orencia®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your abatacept dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For people weighing less than 132 pounds, the recommended dose is abatacept 500 mg. For those weighing between 132 and 220 pounds, the recommended dose is 750 mg, and for those who weigh more than 200 pounds, the recommended dose is abatacept 1000 mg. Usually, your second dose will be given two weeks after the first dose, and the third dose will be given a month after the first dose. After that, the recommended dose is given once every four weeks.
Considerations for people taking abatacept include the following:
- Abatacept is taken by IV. The first three doses are given every two weeks; after that, they are given once every four weeks.
- Dosing for abatacept will likely take place at your healthcare provider's office or at an infusion center. The IV takes about 30 minutes, but the entire process usually lasts awhile longer, due to paperwork, waiting, and preparation for the IV.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Abatacept will not work if you stop taking it.